Remote Instruction Resources
At IRSC, the health and safety of our students and employees is paramount. In the event of a scenario that prevents instructors and students from meeting face to face, IRSC instructors are advised to adopt an online teaching approach.
Connecting to Blackboard
Faculty can access the Blackboard Learning Management System through their desktop and laptop computers, and mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets.
Blackboard is accessible directly through MyPioneerPortal.
Smart Phone and Tablet Access
Instructors may download and use the Blackboard App on their mobile devices. Select Indian River State College - Learn from the dropdown menu, and log in with their RiverNet credentials.
Blackboard Collaborate Support
Blackboard Collaborate support can be reached toll-free at 877-382-2293.
Tips for Blackboard Set-up
Each course automatically gets a Blackboard course site when courses open for registration and students are automatically enrolled.
- Instructors must set up their courses before the first day of the semester for students to view course materials and resources. Course shells will open automatically at 12:01 a.m. on the first day of the semester the course begins.
- Let your students know that you have activated the site by sending an email from within Blackboard, and that you would be emailing them announcements from the Blackboard course site in the event your class cannot meet on campus.
- Post an announcement telling students where to find everything (you don’t need to check the email box unless you are actually ready to have students use the site).
- Post your syllabus and class schedule by uploading a file on the Blackboard class site.
- Create at least one discussion forum where students can ask questions (you can call it something like Ask My Instructor or Q&A forum). You can easily add more discussion forums if they are needed.
- Use asynchronous discussion forums to have a discussion, post your lectures, or even meet with students in real time on Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, a video conferencing tool and record the session.
- To engage students by posting interactive lectures using slides, audio, or video, and to enable students to comment asynchronously, explore VidYard or Echo360 Universal Capture.
Instructional Support and Resources
- IRSC Global Faculty Support Center
- Self-paced Blackboard tutorial
- Beyond Basic Blackboard Set-up/Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Echo360 Active Learning Platform
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or are in need of assistance in how to set up your Blackboard shell.
Student Access to Blackboard
Students have different instruction for accessing Blackboard from their computers, tablets and smart phones. The following information should be helpful as you work with your students.
For students using computers and laptops, Blackboard is accessible directly through MyPioneerPortal.
Students using mobile devices, such as tablets and smartphones, may download and use the Blackboard App.
Student App Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blackboard.android.bbstudent&hl=en
Students utilizing phones that are not smart-phones can listen to Blackboard Collaborate lectures from landlines or from cell phones that have only voice and text capabilities when the instructor provides the Collaborate phone number and meeting ID for that session.