Indian River State College (IRSC), a Hispanic-serving Institution, seeks to increase the number of Hispanic and economically disadvantaged students who attain degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields with the help of a $4,961,238 Hispanic-Serving Institutions STEM and Articulation Program grant from U.S. Department of Education. IRSC’s STEM Pioneers project will assist students from the College’s service district of St. Lucie, Indian River, Martin, and Okeechobee counties by focusing on student success in undergraduate STEM coursework and developing a model articulation and transfer agreement between IRSC and the University of Florida.
The STEM Pioneers project addresses student challenges through integrated academic and student support strategies and activities to promote success, retention and graduation in a STEM field. These include:
- STEM Success Coaches to assist with educational planning, graduation, transfer, and support;
- Course-embedded learning assistants to provide course support and assist students with developing competencies needed for success;
- Undergraduate research experiences for first- and second-year students to promote student retention and completion of their Associate degrees;
- Improved student awareness of services that support mental health and well-being;
- Co-curricular activities, STEM career exploration, and career preparation;
- The Learning Commons—a student-friendly place to complete coursework, study collaboratively with classmates, and connect with librarians and tutors; and
- STEM Transfer Mentors from STEM Pioneers’ partner university (University of Florida) to provide transfer planning, virtual and in-person career and university fairs, and identify course requirements, promoting seamless transfer.
Programs of Study
The STEM Pioneers program supports students pursuing Associate degrees in the following tracks:
- Agriculture (General)
- Biology (General)
- Biology (Preprofessional)
In collaboration with the STEM Pioneer Program, Advising and Career Services will be offering the following NEW workshop this fall, Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Resume Workshop for STEM Pioneers.