Main Content Start

Apply for VA Education Benefits

Students receiving veteran benefits may register for courses online or at any Indian River State College campus. Regulations and policies of the VA Educational Benefit Program determine these benefits.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of educational benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one program and there also are programs for qualified dependents. It is helpful to explore benefit programs before beginning step two.

Visit for more information about VA education benefits.

The best way to apply for your education benefits is online at

You can also apply for education benefits by doing any of the following options:

  • Visit your nearest VA regional benefit office to apply in person.
  • Consult with the Military & Veterans Department at Indian River State College if assistance is needed.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.
Veterans VA form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits)
Transfer of Entitlement VA form 22-1990E (Application for Family Members to Use Transferred Benefits)
Dependent VA form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits)
Veterans VA form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)
VA form 22-5495 (Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
VA Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E)

To submit a paper application, download and complete a VA Form 28-1900 linked above and mail it to your local regional benefit office or visit one and submit in person. A VA VR&E counselor will determine if you meet the eligibility criteria. Visit the VA VR&E website for more information.

Submit your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter and a copy of your DD214 to the IRSC Military & Veterans Services Department.

Register and attend an orientation.

Once you have completed the VA Orientation, print out the Memorandum of Understanding and submit it to the IRSC Veterans Affairs office.

  • You can visit ANY campus and advisor to get registered if you do not wish to do it online however, there is dedicated Military and Veterans Services staff located at the Massey Campus and in the Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success located at the Pruitt Campus! To quickly sign-in to qless at those locations or to request contact visit the MVS LinkTree and select the corresponding button for you! Contact an MVS staff member once registered to be certified!
New version available REFRESH  DISMISS