Main Content Start

Apply for Veteran Benefits

Students receiving veteran benefits may register for courses online or at any Indian River State College campus. Regulations and policies of the VA Educational Benefit Program determine these benefits.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of educational benefit programs. Many Veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one program and there also are programs for qualified dependents. It is helpful to explore benefit programs before beginning step two.

Visit for more information about VA education benefits.

The best way to apply for your education benefits is online at

You can also apply for education benefits by doing any of the following options:

  • Visit your nearest VA regional benefit office to apply in person.
  • Consult with the Veterans’ Benefits Advisor at Indian River State College who will have application forms and can help you apply.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.
Veterans VA form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits)
Transfer of Entitlement VA form 22-1990E (Application for Family Members to Use Transferred Benefits)
Dependent VA form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits)
Veterans VA form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training)
VA form 22-5495 (Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
VA Vocational Rehab

The best way to file for vocational rehabilitation and employment services is to apply online at eBenefits. To submit a paper application, download and complete a VA Form 28-1900, "Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation" and mail it to your local regional benefit office. You may also go to your local regional benefit office and turn in your application for processing. A VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor will determine if you meet the eligibility criteria. Visit the VA Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment website for more information.

Submit your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter and a copy of your DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty—for veterans only) to the IRSC Veterans Affairs office.

Register and attend an orientation.

Once you have completed the VA Orientation, print out the Memorandum of Understanding and submit it to the IRSC Veterans Affairs office.

Visit the nearest IRSC campus to you for enrollment assistance. Once enrolled in classes, login to your MyPioneerPortal account and select “Student Workday.” In the Financial Aid area, begin “VA Certification.” You will not be certified for payment without submitting your request!

New version available REFRESH  DISMISS