Study Abroad with IRSC in 2019
Study Abroad with IRSC in 2019
September 6, 2018 Suzanne Seldes
Experiences of a lifetime await students and community members who travel the world through Indian River State College (IRSC) Study Abroad. IRSC will offer eight fascinating trips during 2019, with the opportunity for participants to earn college credits related to each trip’s area of emphasis. The new slate of Study Abroad opportunities explore the people, culture, history, and economics in locations throughout Europe, Central America, the Caribbean, and in Japan.
- Switzerland: Health and Happiness (May 8–15, 2019) Visit Zurich, Bern, Geneva, and Lucerne, and learn why Switzerland is consistently listed as one of the top five happiest countries in the world. Included in the trip is a special stop at the International Red Cross Museum.
- England: London Fire Service (May 13–20, 2019) Explore London and spend two days working with the London Fire Brigade. Participants will also visit museums, attend a theater performance and tour historical sites.
- Switzerland, Italy and France: Economics, Math and Sociology (May 16–28, 2019) Immerse yourself in the inner workings, history, and culture of four European countries while applying social science and math concepts that influence the United States and European global, social, and cultural points of view. Visit Lucerne and Zurich in Switzerland; Venice, Florence and Pisa in Italy; Monaco; Cinque Terre and the French Riviera, with extension to Paris, in France.
- Czech Republic and England: International Relations and Diplomacy in Prague (May 16¬–June 13, 2019) Live on a beautiful university campus in Prague while studying with an international group of students. Learn about global business, diverse cultures and political influences and their impact on the world. Share ideas and knowledge on how to make a better world.
- Japan: Urban Environment and Culture (May 20–30, 2019) Visit Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Hakone, Kamakura and Tokyo. Experience the inner workings, history and culture of Japan while appreciating the blend of culture and technology in all aspects of the Japanese lifestyle. Explore, compare, learn and appreciate the wide range of global, social and cultural differences between the United States and Japan.
- Caribbean: Constellations, Celestial Navigation and Mayan Archaeoastronomy (May 26–June 2, 2019) Cruise from Port Canaveral to ports in the Bahamas, Mexico, Honduras and Costa Maya, and learn to identify seasonal stars and constellations—including the Southern Cross and other southerly patterns not visible from the U.S.—and learn the basics of celestial navigation and sextant use. Tour Mayan ruins and discover Mayan archaeocosmology and rudiments of Maya glyphs, Maya calendar construction, and base 20 counting system. Examine astronomy features of Maya buildings and the use of MesoAmerican pyramids and other ancient observatories.
- Guatemala: Honors Program Cultural Experience (June 14–23, 2019) Guatemala, “the land of eternal spring,” is a breathtaking land of magnificent lakes, towering volcanoes and ancient ruins. IRSC honors students will have the opportunity to compare and contrast the political and cultural differences between the United States and Guatemala, while also learning about one of the Mayan civilizations and the diverse Guatemalan ecosystem. Visit Guatemala City, Petenchel, Antigua and Lake Atitlán, Guatemala. This trip is open exclusively to IRSC honor students.
- Costa Rica: Service Learning and Spanish Language Classes (June 24–July 7, 2019) Students will live with Costa Rican families, attend language classes and participate in cultural excursions and service activities that will enhance the international learning experience. They will visit and explore San Joaquin de Flores, Heredia, La Fortuna and La Carpio.
The Study Abroad program is presented in support of the IRSC International Studies and Global Initiatives. For more information visit www.irsc.edu or call 1-866-792-4772 and indicate your trip of interest.