Health and Wellness Center
FREE COVID-19 Pfizer vaccinations for IRSC students, employees and their family members:
Massey Campus (IRSC Health & Wellness Center, Building U)
To schedule an appointment or for more information, contact the Health and Wellness Center at 772-462-7825
Programs and facilities of the Indian River State College Health and Wellness Center are focused on providing a comprehensive approach to good health and well-being. The wide range of programs, superior facilities and professional staff will help you get involved in many areas of lifestyle improvement.
The Center offers personal wellness classes, computerized nutritional analysis and lifestyle assessments, and a health resource library featuring books, pamphlets, and audio tapes and videos on topics such as common illnesses, as well as an electronic database describing medical procedures and medications.
Mental Health Counseling
IRSC partners with BayCare Behavioral Health to provide voluntary and confidential counseling at no charge for IRSC students facing personal problems such as academic stress, anxiety and depression, family conflict, personal stress, relationship conflict and substnce abuse that may interfere with academic success. Access to a network of licensed clinicians is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, through a toll-free helpline. Call 1-800-878-5470 or email BayCareSAP@BayCare.org. In addition, BayCare provides referrals to community resources.
Personal Health Counseling
The IRSC Health and Wellness Center offers individual counseling and group presentations that emphasize health enhancement and disease prevention. Health education and guidance is provided in the areas of nutrition, weight control, relaxation techniques, stress reduction, smoking cessation and exercise.
All personal counseling is confidential and by appointment only.
The PEACE Project
The PEACE Project is a grant-funded program to help promote mental health strategies and prioritize mental health around IRSC. Learn more in this Q&A with PEACE Project Coordinator Katherine Kennedy.
A registered nurse is available during posted health services hours. The College nurse can provide treatment for minor illnesses, injuries and emergency care; individual counseling; health information; and referral.
Student Health Insurance
Information on independent insurance providers that provide health, dental, vision and prescription coverage to students is available in the Health and Wellness Center and at all satellite campuses. Insurance is available through Insurance for College Students, LLC (contact Michael or Wendy Gold at 561-901-4900). Insurance for international students can be found at https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/.
Test Anxiety Screening
Many students have the ability to do well on exams, but sometimes they experience a high level of anxiety. Schedule an appointment with the Health and Wellness Center to learn how to avoid letting emotions interfere with logic, and find ways to have and maintain a positive perspective.
Online Health Resources
- American Heart Association (AHA) Physical Activity Tips—discover the right exercise program to improve your cardiovascular fitness and a wealth of information about physical fitness in general.
- Ask The Dietitian—find answers to all types of diet and nutrition questions, and learn about caffeine, food allergies, diabetic exchanges, food safety, junk food, sports nutrition, vitamins and minerals. Calculate your weight range and body-mass index using the Healthy Body Calculator.
- Calm Harm provides tasks, using these activities: Comfort, Distract, Express Yourself, Release, Random and Breathe, to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- The Inner Truth Project—a nonprofit organization based in Port St. Lucie that provides a safe and therapeutic environment for survivors of sexual violence.
- NCADV—National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- NIDA—National Institute on Drug Abuse
The Health and Wellness Center is located in Building U on Massey Campus. Contact us at 772-462-7825 or send email to email@example.com.
Fall and Spring Semesters
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., closed Friday